Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

The Importance of a Tripod?

mdallie

Novi, US
238 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"The Importance of a Tripod?"

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011
Sat 01-Sep-12 11:15 AM | edited Sat 01-Sep-12 11:16 AM by mdallie

I grew up believing I only needed a tripod when I used a slow shutter speed. That if my shutter speed was fast enough (e.g., 1/focal length), and I held steady enough, then I didn't need to bother. Besides, the tripod slows you down and they do get heavy if you have a good one.

In general I am happy with my pictures but every once in a while, when certain subjects are photographed, I am asking myself why my pictures aren't "razor" sharp. I usually blame it on my lenses (I use very good lenses, but they are zooms, not primes). Don't get me wrong -- the pictures are clear and respectable and not blurry at all, but just not of the sharpness that causes people to say WOW.

Recently I saw an article which zoomed in on pictures taken with and without a tripod. In the extreme cropping and zooming, there was a very visible difference between the pictures shot with a tripod and those without.

So my question to the tripod fans is this: If I am out shooting with a 200mm VR lens, and I am shooting at 1/500, and I have good technique (I have a good stance, hold my elbows in, hold my breath, squeeze carefully, etc.), would you say that even though my picture is not blurry at all, that I would end up with a sharper picture if I were to use a tripod?

As a follow-up, when using a tripod, and a higher shutter speed, how important is it to use a remote shutter release instead of just putting my finger on the shutter (again, assuming my technique for releasing the shutter is respectable)?

I've been pondering this a lot lately and I appreciate your thoughts.

Mike

A topic tagged as having a question The Importance of a Tripod? [View all] , mdallie Silver Member , Sat 01-Sep-12 09:15 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: The Importance of a Tripod?