Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Kirk MPA-2 Monopod Head

prophotoman

Oakdale, US
253 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Kirk MPA-2 Monopod Head"

prophotoman Registered since 27th Jun 2009
Mon 20-Aug-12 03:48 PM | edited Mon 20-Aug-12 07:24 PM by prophotoman

Just got my Kirk MPA-2 the other day and I am VERY impressed for the most part.

Here's the good:
This head is built like a tank! you could probably mount an Arriflex movie camera on this and it wouldn't even bat an eyelash! The locking knob for positioning the angle of the clamp is silky smooth and locks the position LONG before you feel any resistance in turning the locking knob! This is VERY unlike the Manfrotto Monopod Head I had been using which is oh so mega wimpy by comparison!

The POSSIBLY bad:
The clamp which is attached to this head DOES turn, not swivel, so that when you go from mounting your camera with L-bracket to using the lens foot to enable you to tilt your long telephhoto with lens foot and ring up and down. HOWEVER in order to do this you have to remove the hex nut in the top of the clamp in order to lift off the clamp completely to reposition it in the proper orientation for a lens foot. This could take upwards of a minute or so to enable you to switch from using the arca swiss camera L mounting bracket to using the Arca Swiss foot on your long telephoto lens, if you remember to bring the allen wrench to make the change! Sometimems time is of the essence. There ought to be a way to pull up on the clamp or press a button that releases it in order to reorient (rotate) it for changing mounting options. However, I think all monopod heads have the same issue. Ideas?

I do LOVE this head, except for the above issue! I think this is the best monopod head, even stronger than the one put out by RRS (their is rated for 75 pounds I believe, Kirk is rated for 80 pounds).

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Kirk MPA-2 Monopod Head [View all] , prophotoman , Mon 20-Aug-12 01:48 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Kirk MPA-2 Monopod Head