Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Arca Swiss Z1 vs markins Q10 on a GT2540

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Arca Swiss Z1 vs markins Q10 on a GT2540"

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Mon 20-Aug-12 12:45 PM

Hi Michel,

My understanding is that the Arca-Swiss lever clamp is adjustable.

In the past we have had complaints about the Arca-Swiss lever not working well with mixed plates, probably because the Arca-Swiss plate width is different than RRS's and definitely not interchangeable without adjusting the lever with each swap. And that is a very bad idea. A lot of people buy an A-S head and a basic A-S plate and then later discover RRS plates and L brackets. Then chaos reigns

If the A-S lever works like the Markins adjustable lever then it will probably work with RRS plates, with a slight one time adjustment. RRS plates have very high tolerances in order to conform to RRS's lever clamp.

In the case of the RRS lever, you must stick with their plates, Wimberly plates, or maybe Kirk plates. That because the RRS lever is not adjustable. And since RRS built the first lever (I think?), a lot of what you read on the net is based on that lever. It is not a simple issue and easy to confuse when trying to surf up an answer.

I believe we have a number of satisfied Markins lever clamp users that use RRS (and Wimberly) plates. It works because the Markins lever (like the A-S lever) is adjustable. We do recommend sticking with one plate maker (or known compatible plates like RRS/Wimberly) and sticking with plate makers that have a good history of making consistent plates.

The cost of the A-S lever upgrade is only about $22. If it were me I would spend that, banking on the RRS plates working well. If you test the RRS plates very well, they will either fit properly or they won't. Just be sure to adjust the lever and push HARD on the plate to make sure it really won't slip. If it doesn't work out then you lost that $22 bet and replace the lever clamp.

Unfortunately we don't have a lot of Z1 users here, but a few have come along in the past few years. Maybe they will chime in . You should also search the archives here on "Z1" and see what has been said about this.

I guess this is another benefit of the Markins- we have lots of experience here with that head, with the lever clamp (see my lever clamp compatibility thread pinned to the top of the forum list).

If you proceed with the Z1 please post your results to the Lever Clamp Compatibility thread. We don't have any input yet on the Z1.

my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Arca Swiss Z1 vs markins Q10 on a GT2540 [View all] , Snmva9 , Sun 19-Aug-12 04:28 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Arca Swiss Z1 vs markins Q10 on a GT2540