Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Arca Swiss Z1 vs markins Q10 on a GT2540

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Arca Swiss Z1 vs markins Q10 on a GT2540"

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Sun 19-Aug-12 11:09 PM

Hi Michel,

Welcome to Nikonians

If you replace the A-S clamp with an RRS clamp be careful which model you buy. I( think you will want the BS-AS II according to this page on RRS's site. It's not easy to find; you may have missed it.

I would also ask why you want to replace the A-S clamp.

The Z1 is a good head. You've noted that it is substantially heavier than the Q10 and the Q20. The Z1 is more comparable to the Q20 in terms of performance.

Compared to the M10, in exchange for the weight and potential issues with the clamp, you get a head that does hold extreme angles better because of the elliptical ball. SO there are various feature trade-offs here. I shoot Markins heads and am very happy with them.

I've only recently had a chance to handle a Z1 in the field. From what I Could see in the 5 minutes I spent with it, it is a very nice head. I spent my 5 minutes studying the action of the elliptical ball. I like it better than the A-S B1 I tried a number of years ago.

As far as weight on a Series 2, I think lighter is better, which favors the Q10 (a good match for a Series 2). But the Z1 is not terribly heavy, much lighter than an RRS BH-55 or Kirk BH-1 so it could be a good choice. I don't think it is so heavy it will stress the Gitzo, it is more a matter of that that 0.3 LB or so means to you in terms of portability.

my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Arca Swiss Z1 vs markins Q10 on a GT2540 [View all] , Snmva9 , Sun 19-Aug-12 04:28 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Arca Swiss Z1 vs markins Q10 on a GT2540