Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Acra-Swiss Z1 Monoball Flip Lock experience

petterf

SE
138 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Acra-Swiss Z1 Monoball Flip Lock experience"

petterf Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2008
Sun 12-Aug-12 12:59 AM

I have one.
It's simple but not as natural and smooth in the handling as I did expect.
You don't push the "button" down as one might think, you pull it and then flip the lever half way.
It's easy just not the procedure you first think of when you look at it.

To fully release the plate after flipping the lever half you need to release the catch which is a little tricky the first few times. You need to press on the countersinked fluted/cogged axle and pull it in the outward direction.
The axles diameter is a bit thin and the fluting do not give as much grip as I want.
You can use your nail instead as it dont need any major force to move it in the direction. It would have been much better with a mm or two added to the diameter.

The ball head handling is exceptional.
Super smooth friction, easy to lock and unlock, you can set a limiter which control the level of free swivel friction when unlocked.
The production quality is outstanding and when tightened it feels welded into place.

I've noticed one thing though.
After levelling it, unlocked, with its bubble. When you then tighten it the levelling change a tiny bit. Not much but still annoying.

Petter
-Ever wondered where gadgets go when they die?

A general, generic topic Acra-Swiss Z1 Monoball Flip Lock experience [View all] , wkilburg , Fri 10-Aug-12 11:02 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Acra-Swiss Z1 Monoball Flip Lock experience