Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Right tripod and gimbal head for a 500mm f/4 lens

paracelsus

Toronto, CA
45 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Right tripod and gimbal head for a 500mm f/4 lens"

paracelsus Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2008
Thu 16-Aug-12 08:23 PM

"It is my belief that, where possible, it is better to put the left hand on the far end of the lens, between the hood and the focusing ring (but keeping the hand off the focusing ring!), or on the hood/lens "joint""

Thanks Neil: that absolutely makes sense!

As I now see it, putting your hand above the foot of the lens (i.e. the centre of gravity of the lens/camera) can help if the main problem is that your tripod vibrates, which it does somewhat, and is the reason a tripod with little or no flex is desirable. But the other problem, which a gentle hand pressure can best help with, is that the lens is long and heavy, and its (mostly vertical) vibration is largest at the far end.

If I am right, would you agree that the type of Long Lens Support made by RRS would be a real help?

Moy

Photography is a way of shouting, of freeing oneself, not of proving or asserting one's own originality. It's a way of life. (Henri Cartier-Bresson)

A general, generic topic Right tripod and gimbal head for a 500mm f/4 lens [View all] , paracelsus Silver Member , Tue 07-Aug-12 10:18 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Right tripod and gimbal head for a 500mm f/4 lens