Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Wimberly body plate compatibility

JonK

New York, US
6331 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Wimberly body plate compatibility"

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004
Thu 26-Jul-12 01:22 AM

Plates from Kirk, Really Right Stuff, and WImberly generally work with the clamps on bullheads from all of the bullhead manufacturers. The question might be whether you would be happier with a custom place, one specifically designed for the bottom of the D800.

The L-bracket is for convenience. With the plate, to shoot vertically you have to tilt the camera so that the stem of the ball drops into the slot and then reorient the view. And with the stem in the slot, you can no longer level the camera by ball adjustment. Also, you moved the lens a few inches to the side, which changes its perspective to the subject, and for close subject may you to reposition the tripod.

With the L-bracket, al you do is loosen the clam, spin the camera 90º so the other side of the L is in the clamp, and relock. You still have full bullhead control and the lens is essentially in the same position ti was when shooting horizontally.

Bottom line: for my D3s I have both; for my D800 I have the L and may or may not buy the plate — for horizontal-only shoots I prefer not to have the extra L section.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

A topic tagged as having a question Wimberly body plate compatibility [View all] , gg987 Gold Member , Wed 25-Jul-12 04:45 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Wimberly body plate compatibility