Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Question about separate ball head versus L-bracket for ...

gg987

Encino, US
91 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Question about separate ball head versus L-bracket for WH-200"

gg987 Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Jun 2012
Tue 24-Jul-12 05:42 PM | edited Tue 24-Jul-12 05:44 PM by gg987

Hi. This is a bit long. Please bear with me.

I have a Wimberly head version II (WH-200) which I have because of my 600/f4. I also have the P-5 body plate and the M-8 perpendicular plate so I can mount my camera on the tripod. In the instructions for the M-8 is a paragraph stating the that is not the ideal way to go for the camera because you can't flip the camera to the vertical and can't adjust the horizon, and the camera won't balance. Wimberly recommends getting an L-bracket from another vendor and then mount the M-8 to the L-bracket to mount the camera to the head. Honestly I'm having trouble visualizing this setup but I assume it will be clear if I get the bracket. Luckily I can follow instructions.

There is also the option just to get another ball head to use to mount the camera.

Which of these suggestions is least complicated and makes the most sense? Are they equivalent solutions? Obviously there is a difference in cost, which will also affect my decision, depending on the answer to the first two questions.

Thank you,
Gail

Gail Goldstein
D8ooE D800
AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4G ED VR

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A topic tagged as having a question Question about separate ball head versus L-bracket for ... [View all] , gg987 Gold Member , Tue 24-Jul-12 03:42 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Question about separate ball head versus L-bracket ...