Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Bogen 3268 Grip Action Ball Head

BJNicholls

Salt Lake City, US
10095 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Bogen 3268 Grip Action Ball Head"

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter Member
Mon 07-Jan-02 03:16 PM

If you have a tripod collar for your 80-200, the Grip Action head would be workable, but the load would approach the upper limit of what I'd care to put on it. Without a tripod colar, you'd probably dislike this head if you need to frame vertical shots. The head is very tall and when you tilt it at 90 degrees, the center of gravity is quite far off center of your tripod. The quick release plate is also very small for the camera combo that you're spec'ing, so expect the rig to twist and loosen on the plate(and there is no anti-twist plate of this size) unless the rig is used only with horizontal framing, or you rotate for verticals using the tripod collar on the lens.

The relatively light load rating and grip action of this head also make it difficult to do precise positioning with long lenses. I've retired mine from photo duty and use it with a spotting scope now - for this use it works well until you release the lever. Then the position inevitably jumps a little as you let go of the grip.

I far prefer my Markins ballhead (similar to the Arca B1) which offers similar speed to set up but with more solid load capacity, anti-twist Arca type plates, a much more compact, lightweight design, as well as independent panning action. The price of entry is fairly high for a system head like this, but I think the performance is worth it. The Acratech may be the best buy in this class right now:

http://www.acratech.net/prod01.htm

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

A general, generic topic Bogen 3268 Grip Action Ball Head [View all] , cre8tive1 , Fri 09-Nov-01 04:44 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Bogen 3268 Grip Action Ball Head