Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
BJNicholls

Salt Lake City, US
10095 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Opinions on"

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter Member
Fri 09-Nov-01 06:43 PM

LAST EDITED ON Nov-09-01 AT 08:45 PM (GMT)

Hi Jerry,

I have a Grip Action head that I primarily use now for our spotting scope. It's a very handy design and it works well for fast changes of position.

I don't use it as my primary ballhead anymore. The load rating is on the edge for your gear. It would be fine if you use it in an upright position and rotate your camera on the 80-200 lens mount to shoot verticals. Because it's so tall, using it to shoot verticals throws the center of gravity off and can make for poor stability. The tension adjustment may slip if you tilt the head very far with much weight on it. If you crank down the preload, the action gets sticky.

The other drawback is the quick release mount. This plate has no antitwist feature and Manfrotto doesn't make one to fit this head. You'll have problems keeping the base from twisting with the camera and lens off axis.

I'm now using an Arca style ballhead that uses the dovetail quick release system. The quick release plates from Really Right Stuff and Kirk Precision fit your camera or lens perfectly and won't ever twist as you're working. My ballhead is by Markins and I've found that using a head with a nearly 100 lb. load rating allows me to set a tension that allows me to move the camera - but won't let it flop when I take my shot. I retired the Grip Action head for spotting scope use after finding out how a lighter, smaller head works better. The Arca system is expensive. Custom plates run about $60 and the ballheads run about $300 for Markins, Acratech and Kirk heads to over $400 for an Arca B1.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

A general, generic topic Opinions on [View all] , cre8tive1 , Fri 09-Nov-01 03:25 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Opinions on
Reply message RE: Opinions on