Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
BJNicholls

Salt Lake City, US
10095 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: bogen 3036 tripod"

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter Member
Fri 03-Aug-01 05:06 AM

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-01 AT 01:27 PM (GMT)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-01 AT 07:10 AM (GMT)

Don't worry about the matching thing - the tripod won't care what head you put on it. I personally far prefer a good ballhead to a pan-tilt head. A ballhead is sleeker, lighter and faster to use for still camera work.

Here's the deal. Look at the load rating of all the heads in the OP "review" (it was more an overview of a few of the popular ballheads). The higher the load rating, the more you will be able to get a smooth action with easier positioning. There's a big difference in the ease and precision when using my modest Bogen ballhead compared the the Markins heads that I use.

If you will be using a heavy camera and lens combo, also look at a plate system that has anti-twist, otherwise you'll constantly have to retighten the mounting plate as you work. Bogen has an antitwist hex plate (the low cost option) or you can get into Arca type plates (much pricier). The Arca plates can be left on your cameras and lens mounts all the time (they're light and very trim compared to the big Bogen hex plate). My only gripes with my Arca-style setup are the expense and lack of a safety interlock.

You can always start now with a modest priced ballhead and see if you find it wanting. Do try to find some heads that you can test with a camera in place...

BJ

Oh, I almost forgot. If you do go with a ballhead be sure it is a panning ballhead. That means in addition to the ball action, the base allows smooth independent panning action. With this feature you not only get panning accuracy, but it also makes orienting the ballhead slot much faster and easier.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

A general, generic topic bogen 3036 tripod [View all] , judy_t , Fri 03-Aug-01 02:39 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: bogen 3036 tripod