Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
chiefmasterjedi

US
313 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Studio Lighting"

chiefmasterjedi Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2009
Tue 26-Mar-13 04:47 PM

I agree with everyone about Paul C Buff products, I have 2x Einsteins and 2x AB800 with numerous light stands and modifiers. But if you are new to studio lights then you will have a steep learning curve to overcome. Lighting is not as complicated as some make it out to be but for the newcomer it can be very frustrating.
If you are only going to use your lights indoors for nice soft portraits, then you might want to consider constant lights instead of strobes. Constant lighting is not as powerful as strobes but it is a lot easier to for the newcomer. You just set the lights up by eye then use your camera's meter to expose the shot, just like you would outside.
On the other hand, if you intend to get serious about lighting, like shooting large groups, events, glamor or want to use your lights outside, then you will want to get strobes. If you understand how speedlights work in manual mode or/and off camera, then strobes should be an easy transition.

I hope this help,

Chris C.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.
Visit my web site.

A general, generic topic Studio Lighting [View all] , timf23 , Sun 24-Mar-13 10:49 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Studio Lighting