Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Outdoor Hummingbird/Butterfly "Studio"

Seajay

Lincoln, UK
60 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Outdoor Hummingbird/Butterfly "Studio""

Seajay Registered since 29th Mar 2007
Tue 29-Jan-13 02:27 PM

With a 70-200 and a 2x converter you would need to be within 10-15 ft for a decent sized shot of a small bird so your talking of using a hide or a blind. It would also be necessary to raise the ISO for shots of small birds like robins. I have produced many successful shots at a speed of 1/60th but things have to be timed when the bird is inactive. Humming birds well I've never seen one here in Lincolnshire but I would imagine their bodies are still at times whilst feeding but their wings are going like hell! Depends what results your after. With a long lens like the Bigma a lot of people use flash extenders in poor light, perhaps that may be worth a look? Used a Bigma for years with a 1.4 converter but personally I set up somewhere that gives me the conditions I want using a blind. Flash I found disturbed the wildlife and their welfare is paramount. Butterflies and dragonflies look much better,imo, in natural light as does all nature.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Outdoor Hummingbird/Butterfly "Studio" [View all] , RLDubbya Silver Member , Mon 24-Dec-12 09:18 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Outdoor Hummingbird/Butterfly "Studio"