Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

EM-140 DG Macro Flash

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: EM-140 DG Macro Flash"

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Thu 01-Nov-12 02:23 PM

I have a very old EM-140. It needs a firmware update, which I think Sigma will do. Mine does not work consistently with Mup on later cameras, and also inconsistently in Autoexposure mode. I only use it in Manual mode for work on a copy stand. I should get the Mup problem fixed, though.

I think Mup worked with the D2h I was using when I bought it. It stopped working with either the D200 or D300. Sigma told me they could fix it (that was several years ago now).

Just to say my 5+ year old unit, made before the D200 came out, I think, may not be representative of the feature set compatibility of new units.

Seems to me that no ring flash would make a good "general purpose" flash. In general, you want the light coming in at the most extreme angle (to a reasonable extent) as possible. That is one of the benefits of a hot shoe mounted flash, verses using a built in pop-up flash.

Any ring flash, by design, will project the light almost parallel to the optical axis when used at "normal" distances of more than a foot or so. You may have considered this but I have to throw it in to make sure .

It is also not a very powerful flash but Brian covered that.

my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic EM-140 DG Macro Flash [View all] , tacomadm18 , Wed 31-Oct-12 01:18 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: EM-140 DG Macro Flash