Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

AF bird lens advice needed for D60

BillinBoston

Hyde Park, MA, US
108 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: AF bird lens advice needed for D60"

BillinBoston Registered since 08th Mar 2012
Tue 19-Jun-12 05:39 PM

Hi Marty,

Thanks.

1. How do I know if I'm in BL mode or not? Under what conditions is it IMPORTANT to set, or not set, for BL?

2. I bought my SB800 used, with no manual. Can you give me a link to one? Biggest question right now: Significance of mm numbers 24 through 105? Better Beamer says put setting on "50"--why? If range to subject varies from 5 feet to 75 feet, is 50 the best setting for all?

3. Many of my outdoor flash bird pictures are good. Some are not. Biggest problem seems to be underexposing in low to medium-low light. Setting is typically Aperture priority 7.1, Better Beamer IN use (set at 50mm). Subject 15-25 feet away. Some back light. What is problem? How to correct? (If I wanted to include a picture, with camera data available, how do I do that?)

4. What is typical recycle time on SB800? How many flashes in 10 seconds before no flash occurs? (By the way, if Flash is cycled-out, will the shutter still release, so that I am unaware of just having shot "in the dark"?)

5. I'm visiting the National Aviary in Pittsburgh in early July. Typical large indoor environment, birds flying around, some pretty far away. Will be using 300 F4, with 1.4 TC. Any idea if using Better Beamer is better than plain SB800?

6. If shooting birds indoors with a flash, what is best camera setting? Aperture priority? Automatic? Other? I find that it is difficult, when shooting small birds with a flash, to be able to adjust to rapidly changing light conditions, from no back light to heavy back light. My D60 can flash between 1/60 and 1/200, from F5.6 to F32. I would prefer to over-expose, rather than under-expose. What is a good approach: A. For camera settings; B. For flash settings; C. For photographing strategies.

7. Am still in learning stage with flash photography. Sometimes get bird movement mini-blur even with flash. What setting change, if any, would eliminate this problem?

8. How do I find out the dates, times, and places of Nikon TTL Flash courses? Is any of this on-line? Good DVD's?

9. If I suspect that a particular question of mine has already been asked, and answered, on Nikonians, how do I navigate myself to that location (to answer #8, for example)?

A lot of questions here, Marty. Please feel free to answer only one or a few at a time. Also, if you think that any of the above questions would be better played as a general post, please tell me. I don't want to monopolize your valuable time.

Many thanks,
Bill

This is a hot, active topic! AF bird lens advice needed for D60 [View all] , BillinBoston , Fri 09-Mar-12 12:14 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: AF bird lens advice needed for D60