Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Memory cards and other miscellaneous questions

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Memory cards and other miscellaneous questions"

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Mon 14-Jan-13 08:29 AM

My general rule of thumb is to use as small a card to accommodate the highest number of images I am willing to risk.
After working for a long time in another field that risked major investments in time and money on a session, having a media failure can range from very irritating to catastrophic. The size of the card that would fit that limit of risk take would change with different file size cameras. The 90 it was 2 or 4gig cards, with the D800 it is 8-16gig cards.
All media fails at some time and it is designed-in to the cards that they have a finite life(although that is a pretty high write cycle count). User's opinions fall into two camps, those who have never had a media failure and don't anything wrong with filling a 64gig card, and those who have been seriously hurt by media failure and would not risk that again. I fall into the latter camp and it cost me $100,000 in out of pocket costs to correct but that was back with $100,000 was a lot more money than it is today. It is also why no pro would take an assignment with a single point of failure such as shooting with only one camera or one power source or one needed cable or light source. There are lessons in that for us amateurs also.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Memory cards and other miscellaneous questions [View all] , mkbee1 , Wed 09-Jan-13 07:19 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Memory cards and other miscellaneous questions