Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Crop factor on D90 one more time!

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Crop factor on D90 one more time!"

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Wed 21-Nov-12 03:56 PM

Yes, what you see through the viewfinder will be what is in the image.

That's the simple answer - at the risk of introducing unnecessary detail, the viewfinder on the D90 shows about 95% of the final image because of the way it's designed. That's nothing to do with the lens or DX / FX, though - the D700 which is an FX camera does the same sort of thing.

I only mention the 95% because if it's important that you capture exactly what you see (and because someone would correct me if I left it out) then using Live View on the rear monitor would be better as that shows precisely 100%.

For a wide lens to complement the 35-70mm, you'd be looking for something with an upper focal length around 35mm - and that applies whether you'd be using the lens on a D90 or an FX camera. Maybe your best option would be the AF-S VR 16-35mm f/4G Nikkor.

However... if you really never intend to go to the FX format (and many people don't) it may be an idea to look at a single lens that could replace the 35-70mm and cover the wide end. In that case, I'd recommend looking at the AF-S DX VR 16-85mm f/3.5-4.5G Nikkor, which would go as wide as the 16-35mm, AND a bit longer than the 35-70mm.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

A general, generic topic Crop factor on D90 one more time! [View all] , limeyzen Silver Member , Wed 21-Nov-12 02:28 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Crop factor on D90 one more time!