Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Digital White Balance Cards or 18% Grey Cards

elec164

US
2575 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Digital White Balance Cards or 18% Grey Cards"

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009
Thu 07-Jun-12 03:36 PM | edited Thu 07-Jun-12 03:46 PM by elec164

>Use anything white at the site. There is always something. I
>use napkins, a white tee shirt, a table cloth, anything white.
> Shoot a WB preset of the item then shoot away using that
>preset.

For the most part I would agree with you, except for one point.

Using anything white at hand is OK as long as OB’s (optical brighteners) are not present.

Some soap manufactures use OB’s to make your whites look whiter; and some paper manufactures use OB’s to make cheaper pulp that would normally look yellowish look white, and some white papers with a yellow tinge look even brighter.

OB’s will give you an errant pre-WB setting. If you want something cheap that’s easy to carry around and give relatively good results, white coffee filters work well.

Actually if you wanted a good read on a comparison of different WB setting products, check out this article. The surprise of the group was a Melitta white coffee filter for $.01 compared to much more expensive commercially produced products.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A topic tagged as having a question Digital White Balance Cards or 18% Grey Cards [View all] , thesilentknight , Fri 01-Jun-12 07:46 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Digital White Balance Cards or 18% Grey Cards