Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Digital White Balance Cards or 18% Grey Cards

michaelhager

Fountain Inn, US
2284 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: Digital White Balance Cards or 18% Grey Cards"

michaelhager Gold Member Nikonian since 15th Feb 2007
Thu 07-Jun-12 02:18 PM

This is a well discussed topic and there are as many opinions about it as there are photographers.

I will here offer mine.

The only time you will need scientifically perfect white balance is when you do that shoot for a paint company or fabric company who will demand EXACT matches to their pride and joy colors. Otherwise it's quite subjective on your part. What looks right to you.

Use anything white at the site. There is always something. I use napkins, a white tee shirt, a table cloth, anything white. Shoot a WB preset of the item then shoot away using that preset. IF you're at a wedding for instance that takes place in more than one room with differing lighting, create a preset in each room and save it, then remember to change it when you move from room to room. You do NOT need a spectrally, scientifically balanced, camera branded (and therefor expensive) product.

Better than that, simply use auto white balance, shoot everything in RAW, making sure to shoot something white in each environment, then in post processing, do a white balance grey-point adjustment on that photo in each group and do a batch process on all the rest. Then you don't have to deal with it at the shoot.

It's really not as complicated as it seems.

C. Michael Hager
Your most important piece of photo equipment is built into your face.
www.cmhager.com/Content/photo.shtml

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A topic tagged as having a question Digital White Balance Cards or 18% Grey Cards [View all] , thesilentknight , Fri 01-Jun-12 07:46 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Digital White Balance Cards or 18% Grey Cards