Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Maximum enlargement with D 100

spacer

DE
1690 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Maximum enlargement with D 100"

spacer Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Basic Member
Tue 02-Apr-02 07:02 PM

I'm facing the same question right now.

Currently, I'm using a 4000 DPI scanner which gives me aprox. 5500 x 3800.
No problems in quality when printing A3 on an Epson 1280.

Assuming the D100 delivers the same or better quality compared to the Canon D60 I'll go for it.

A few days ago I downloaded D60 test shots and got impressive results on the Epson 1280.

http://home.impress.co.jp/magazine/digitalcamera/02_04/d60mg/index.htm

I had to resample the image to be able to print at the max size. Surprisingly, the quality surpasses the results I could achieve with the scanner. They appear more vivid and brilliant.

To some extend, even cropping is possible. I took pic P44-2 from the samples and cropped the pic down to a head shot format and resampled the pic to max print size. Obvious quality degradation when viewed close, but still impressive results when viewed in normal viewing distance for that size of print.
(Note: the test shots are provided in jpeg/fine format. I don't know if the raw format would give even better results)

I also consider the Fuji S2 which gives an interpolated 4256 x 2848 pixels. The 'hardware' interpolations due to the pixel shape is supposed to give better results than pure software interpolation like Photoshop would perform.

In addition the S2 has an ISO starting at 100 (D100 ISO 200) and offers Firewire connection (D100 only USB).
Does it take VR lenses?

Have a nice day

Andreas

Andreas

Learn more about me and the Nikonians team on ourTeam Page.

A general, generic topic Maximum enlargement with D 100 [View all] , Rohinton_Mehta Silver Member , Tue 02-Apr-02 09:30 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Maximum enlargement with D 100