Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Why D100 over fuji s2

spacer

DE
1690 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Why D100 over fuji s2"

spacer Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Basic Member
Wed 19-Jun-02 05:27 PM

I was very serious about going digital this year and getting either the D100 or the S2. Still, I am interested, but having some concerns. And if it takes a couple of month to get either one of them I might get an updated / or new model next year (don't do much shooting in the winter).

Some of my thoughts about the models:

Although out of question because of high cost connected with switching the brand, I like the color rendition of the D60 the most (there would be no guarantee that follow up models would show the same colors I like and I prefer the 'feeling' of the Nikon equipment).

I rate them ? on a very subjective scale 1 - 10 (best) - in color rendition like the following:
D60 - 10 (I like the warm, Velvia like colors)
S2 - 8
D100 - 7

This means I would have to go with the S2. But as others already pointed out, the non re-designed F80 body is not too appealing. Lower flash sync a minus (although I read somewhere it is supposed to handle 1/180). The need for two different type of batteries is kind of weird. Not to mention what Alan pointed out the step lines in some situations.
A plus would be the higher resolution.

D100 sounds like the best deal in respect to quality and design. Lower resolution compared to S2 is a minus.

What would not and most likely will not make me buy the D100 is Nikons business strategy. If I am wrong with the following everything is forgiven

If it is true that Nikon capture is required to process NEF files then I am going to stay away from it. Although it is understandable from a business point of few (a brilliant example of marketing 101 !), it should be included for free. It is like buying a Ferrari with the note 'to get the optimum performance you are required to buy the separately sold V12 and kick out the V4'.

So far, I never bought into this kind of deals. Only if it turns out the D100 is outstanding it would be the first time.

Have a nice day

Andreas

Andreas

Learn more about me and the Nikonians team on ourTeam Page.

A general, generic topic Why D100 over fuji s2 [View all] , minnnnieme , Thu 13-Jun-02 08:45 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Why D100 over fuji s2