Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

REPOST: Q on D100 AF tracking

epicdream

Cambridge, UK
189 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: REPOST: Q on D100 AF tracking"

epicdream Silver Member Charter Member
Sun 04-Aug-02 09:12 PM

Hi,

Sorry for not answering your question earlier. I do BMX photography and have now used the D100 for 3 events. For me, the F5 AF tracking is far better than the D100 (but you knew that, having a D1h). I have the 80-200 AFS lens and, to be honest wouldn't trust focus tracking on anything else but an AFS....

I would strongly suggest getting an AFS lens rather than just updating the camera, it rarely lets me down. Only when I am really brutal with it do I miss a shot but that is 90% my fault and not the lens... I dont try focus tracking with my 20-35mm f2.8, it's not worth the pain, lots of hunting and takes time to re-adjust

The shutter lag is something I have only just noticed. When I first used the camera I was oblivious to it but now some of my shots seem to be out by milliseconds, which is crucial for me...

It's funny because my overall opinion of the D100 is a mixed bag of emotions. As the first digital camera I have owned, I love the convenience of digital (instant playback, variable ISO settings etc.), but am starting to miss the luxuries of my F5 and film (rock-solid performance, flash-syncing at higher speeds and some others I cant think of right now . Before you say it, I just couldn't justify the price of a D1x/h because the picture quality still isn't there (in my humble opinion). Also the picture softness on the D100 is starting to bug me even more now

Sorry for digressing and going off on one, I just had to let some of those thoughts out without beginning a new thread, hope you forgive me....

Hope this (sort of) helps,

Neill
http://www.epicdream.co.uk

PS. I am still happy with the D100, only the honeymoon period is over
PPS. I bought the MB-D100, not very impressed with it at all!! For something that expensive I expected it to be more solid than it actually is!

Neill

A topic tagged as having a question REPOST: Q on D100 AF tracking [View all] , aykho , Sat 03-Aug-02 11:48 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: REPOST: Q on D100 AF tracking