Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Thom's review of the D100

BJNicholls

Salt Lake City, US
10095 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Thom's review of the D100"

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter Member
Sun 11-Aug-02 06:32 AM

I'm glad he addressed the issue. The S1 is very Frankencamera. It was/is marketed as a professional digital camera but is hobbled by having the lousy foundation of an entry-level N50 camera body.

The S2 uses a much more capable body strapped to the table. It sounds like they did a good job of keeping the sutures and neck-bolts to a minimum as they grafted their digital system to the body. From what I've read, you really need both sets of batteries to get full function from AF-S and VR lenses, so that's the most obvious sign of green skin and steel-soled boots. I could live with those deformities if the camera delivers otherwise.

Nikon built the D100 using DNA from current cameras but it was designed to live as digital body. Considering the advantages Nikon has, I'm impressed with how well Fuji's S2 interface and control layout works as described by Thom.

I'm also impressed that Fuji seems to have the alchemist's secret to doing TTL flash metering off-the-chip. Nikon has cludged its solution using DX-enhanced preflash metering. I'm afraid Nikon has invested so much in this cludge that Nikon's digital SLRs will be hamstrung by the limitations for generations to come.

Oh well, it may be hard to choose, but it's great to have a choice between very capable cameras.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

A general, generic topic Thom's review of the D100 [View all] , BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources , Thu 08-Aug-02 06:12 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Thom's review of the D100