Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D-100 Histogram Lopsided

RRowlett

Hamilton, US
1253 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"The nature of the histogram..."

RRowlett Gold Member Charter Member
Mon 12-Aug-02 12:23 AM

...depends on what you are shooting and how you are metering. For low key images that have lots of dark areas, a left-weighted histogram is normal. For high-key images, the histogram will lean the other way. For midtoned images, the histogram will max in the middle somewhere. And for contrasty images, you might find the middle of the histogram empty and the left and right sides full. Etc. etc.

So, if your images are indeed not low-key but simply appear to be too dark, you need to add some exposure compensation to push the histogram to the right, if that is the effect you want to achieve. Many D100 posters on this site and others are reporting routinely dialing in +0.7 EV of compensation, but I find this will blow out highlights in the typical shots I make. (I think Nikon may have made the D100 err on the low side of exposure for exactly this reason.) Quite frankly, I have been dialing in -0.3 EV to hold back highlight burnout for much of my shooting, but for some mid-toned shots I can see the need to dial in some + exposure compensation, especially when using matrix metering. This medium is different than film, and I am busy un-learning many ingrained film instincts with the D100.

Cheers.

A topic tagged as in need of help D-100 Histogram Lopsided [View all] , w4npx , Sun 11-Aug-02 09:28 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message The nature of the histogram...
Reply message RE: The nature of the histogram...