Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
JoeSlotz

Philadelphia, US
364 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D-100 Auto ISO"

JoeSlotz Registered since 17th Jul 2002
Thu 15-Aug-02 10:57 AM

Thanks Victor. It does help. But from what you state "as Nikon has defined it" Its not really AUTO, is it? AUTO means without user input. Its more of a Priority ISO with some built-in programming latitude. It will adjust the ISO (AUTO) in full MANUAL mode, but tend not to in Shutter, Aperture, or Program modes? Its more flexible in MANUAL than in PROGRAM? That makes no sense. It remains were you set it until it runs out of useable shutter speeds or aperture settings. Who defines useable? 1/4 sec isn't useable unless you are on a tripod and as far as I know, it doesn't detect its attached to a tripod.

Example: If the D100 is set to ISO 200, AUTO, P mode and I am trying to shoot fast moving objects and the light isn't so great, it may not give me a fast enough shutter speed. I would assume AUTO would bump it up to a faster ISO. But from what you said, it won't. It will just slow my shutter speed down. I know, I know. Its not a Point & Shoot. But even my N70 (no snide comments please) has a Speed Program for this.

Victor, my comments are not directed at you personally. Its just some fustration with the D100.

Joe - Pennsylvania Nikonian
Its all just a trick of the light.
-----------------------------
Lighthouse Joe\'s
Lacrosse Photos for PhiladelphiaLacrosse.com

A general, generic topic D-100 Auto ISO [View all] , JoeSlotz , Wed 14-Aug-02 05:56 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D-100 Auto ISO