Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
foodle

US
267 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D100 or Sigma SD-9?"

foodle Registered since 24th Jul 2002
Sun 22-Sep-02 11:01 PM

>Quite... but I still think it's an interesting proposition
>for someone who wants to step up from, say, the Coolpix
>series to an SLR and who doesn't have an investment in
>Nikkors

It is possible that people with no SLR lenses will go to the Sigma SA mount, but I think this is doubtful. The people moving to SLRs (digital or film) for the first time will probably be relatively inexperienced. So name brand will have more influence on them than an experienced buyer who knows which Sigma lenses are sub-par and which are the equal of their higher-priced name-brand competitors. So I think that inexperienced photographers will stay with the sure-bet name brand that they've heard of, over Sigma.

> if the Foveon sensor proves to provide better image
>quality (and there's a lot more to quality than just
>megapixels) then Sigma may be able to make significant
>inroads into the market.

I'm doubtful that the 3.5Mpixel Foveon sensor will prove to be a quantum leap in image quality over the current crop of 6Mpixel Bayer mosaic sensors. The Foveon test images on their site were specifically chosen to showcase the Foveon sensor's strengths. Also, it is compared with a conventional sensor of the same size, not 2x larger as would be that case in the current marketplace for the SD9. Since the lens is also a major factor in image quality, the SD9 may suffer, since it is restricted to using Sigma lenses only (not that some Sigma glass isn't quite nice...).

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic D100 or Sigma SD-9? [View all] , Reid , Sun 22-Sep-02 10:19 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D100 or Sigma SD-9?