Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

You Be The Judge D/100 Curves Etc.

anomy

1019 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"RE: do you have shutter/aperture info for each photo?"

anomy Basic Member
Wed 27-Nov-02 04:54 AM

I've been following the threads relating to custom curves. At the moment my thinking is as follows. There is no one curve that will work in all situations. In any situation you must have data to work with for post processing. If you blow stuff out by going +.5, which has been happening to alot of the photos I tried with that setting, you can never gain it back. If the info is there and you learn how to use PS, then you can make your adjustments on a case by case basis. There is no magic bullet. For the time being I will use compensation pretty much the way I would with my F5. Of course the nice thing about the D100 is that I can check to see if my compensation was right or not at the time I chose to use it.

One more note on the fotogenic curve. If you look at the curve you can see what is happening by the shape of the curve. You get more contrast in the shadows where the curve steepens, slight loss of contrast in the high mid tones- where the curve flattens a bit going back to normal, and you open up the area where the curve leaves the original 45 degree line. That's all that is happening. It's right for some cases, but not all, and can be done easily in PS if needed.

Best regards,
Preston

A general, generic topic You Be The Judge D/100 Curves Etc. [View all] , fredster Gold Member , Wed 16-Jan-08 12:07 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: You Be The Judge D/100 Curves Etc.
          Reply message do you have shutter/aperture info for each photo?
               Reply message RE: do you have shutter/aperture info for each photo?
                              Reply message There's one difference...
                                   Reply message RE: There's one difference...