I purchased one for several reasons, and yes, it is plasticky feeling to the max. But given that, here are my reasons - some of which, may or may not fit in with your way of thinking:
1. It's another toy that can be added to the D100 to give it an extra testosterone feel! I love the way babes look at me when they see that extra heft being lugged around on that digital machine.
2. It enables you to shoot vertically with the added convenience of having a shutter release button in the vertical position.
3. It also gives you a 10 pin plug so you can use the nice Nikon 10-pin remote release cords.
4. It lengthens your shooting time by a factor of x2 - because it uses two of those batteries.
5. You even have a voice recorder, so you can capture great stuff like, "Oh sh _ _ t I used the wrong white balance settings," or "mannnn, this is gonna be an awesome f_ _ _ing shot when I get it back into PS 7, or "fill in whatever here."
Bottom line is that it's a plus when added to the D100 all the way around. But yes, I've got to say that it is actually cheaper feeling than the camera itself.
Hope you had a sense of humor while reading this. With my luck, I always seem to run into a Baptist Minister when passing on less than colorful information!!!