Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D100 and .NEF File formats

slow_driver

Hong Kong
582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D100 and .NEF File formats"

slow_driver Basic Member
Tue 29-Oct-02 05:07 AM

It seems I'm the only JPEG shooter here. Sure, it can be a nightmare when you have taken a shot with a wildly wrong WB setting, & it will deteriorate each time it is processed. But, from slide film, I have learnt to get my exposure right when I release the shutter, not during hours of post processing.

But the fact is the D100 buffer is way too small to cope with RAW files for sustained shooting. With my microdrive, it takes the best part of 30 seconds just to clear 4 RAW files from the buffer. This limits my ability to capture action, spontaneous moments & even posed photos since a group of people won't wait for the cows to come home before I can take another picture. In JPEG Large / Fine mode, I have rarely had to wait since the smaller files get written straight away. In Medium / Fine, I've only run into the buffer at sports events.

I'd like to use RAW one day, but I'm afraid the D100 just isn't up to the task most of the time. I am limited to use it for landscape & other static subjects until this issue is sorted (ie, hopefully in the next camera).

JB

www.pbase.com/jbviajero

A topic tagged as having a question D100 and .NEF File formats [View all] , Randy , Mon 28-Oct-02 04:39 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D100 and .NEF File formats