Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
signata

US
46 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D100 interface"

signata Registered since 11th Dec 2002
Mon 13-Jan-03 06:09 PM

2. There is quite a bit of debate on just how important this is. I lean towards it not being so much of an issue. If you need wide-angle you can either wait for the DX lens, or get an ultra-wide. Everything else /works just fine, you just have to get used to standing at different distances than you are used to. In some ways it can even be better, since you just use the centre portion of the lens, the sweet spot. Plus, as another pointed out, the Kodak in this instance is just using the same resolution power of the D100 over a larger area. So yes, you'll be back to standing where you are used to standing when using 50mm or whatever, but you won't get any astounding leaps in quality.

The D100's resolving power is quite high, and thus depends heavily upon the quality of the lens. Crisp lenses will produce amazing detail. It's important to remember that the 1.5 does not mean a smaller picture -- it just means you are using a smaller portion of the lens to get the same size output. I am excited to see what the DX looks like on the D100. With twice the optical resolution of other Nikkor lenses, subtle detail might make a big leap.

3. That's about the last thing on my list of priorities. Card readers are cheap, durable, portable -- and in general preferable to using the camera. You don't need the camera power supply (which is going to be more expensive than a card reader by itself), and wear and tear on the little rubber door is kept down to a minimum. I keep one in my camera bag at all times. If you get the right one, you can sit down at any computer and transfer your files. No worrying about drivers or anything. Firewire readers are a bit more expensive, but I wouldn't go for those yet anyway. Most CF cards cannot deliver much over USB bandwidth on speed -- not even /near Firewire's 400 MB/s.

4. Digital cameras are not computers, and don't believe the salespeople who pitch them like computers. There are no major software upgrades. You don't have to worry about Windows eventually not working on it anymore. Once you get the camera, it is a self-contained package that will deliver it's current quality until it dies.

So the question then becomes, is the current quality good enough for you right now? The D100 will very comfortably make fine 8x10 prints, and if you are willing to stretch quality a bit, you can go bigger (200-250 dpi as opposed to 300.) If that is the extent of your needs then I'd say the current crop of DSLRs will work for you. If you don't make large prints ever, or don't even do prints -- then the quality of the D100 is going to be well beyond what you use it for, and it's size becomes cropping gravy (very nice for multimedia.)

It doesn't matter if Nikon/Kodak/Canon/Etc releases a 25MP full-frame wunderkind a day after you buy the D100, the camera you chose is the one that will serve your purposes until it croaks.

A general, generic topic D100 interface [View all] , Bladerunn , Mon 13-Jan-03 12:31 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D100 interface
Reply message To add to what has already been well said...