Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
vfnewman

Forest, US
4325 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D100 interface"

vfnewman Awarded for his multiple contributions to Resources Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Basic Member
Mon 13-Jan-03 01:52 PM

>1- price

There is no doubt that prices will constantly fall. What you must decide is when you want to jump in. If you shoot professionally, the decision can be reduced to pure numbers. If you dont shoot professionally, it just becomes a matter of how badly you want something and if you can afford it. I took the plunge into digital this year and dont regret it for one second.

>2- 1.5x magnification factor, that forces me into buying a
>special wide angle lens...

Nikon will soon have the 12-24mm lens available, which will have the angle of view of an 18-36. I suspect that would be wide enough for you. I have the Sigma 15-30mm that I am very happy with as well.

>3- slow interface: USB 1.1 is rather slow, specially
>considering that USB 2 is now the standard in any computer.

I am never in favor of hooking a $2000 camera to anything that ultimately connects to a 120v power source (meaning, connectinig my camera to directly to the computer via USB, Firewire, or anything else). I have a firewire card reader and love it.

>4- Obsolescence: the recent announcement of a 14.1 Mpixel
>DSLR makes me wonder how much longer will Nikon be able to
>charge $1500-2000 for the D100 (believe me, I have seen E
>stores that post the D100 at little over U$1500!!!)...

Do remember that the 14 MP Kodak is full-frame, and if you look at the pixel density, the D100 actually has just a few more pixels per unit area. The D100 has the same resolution, just the crop factor is the difference.

>
>I would like to read your comments on the later points,
>specially if you have heard any rumours regarding an upgrade
>to USB 2, or maybe a Nikon DSLR with 100% lens coverage.

I have heard nothing about USB2, but it is widely suspected (but in no way confirmed) that Nikon will have a new camera to reveal at the Photo Marketing Association trade show in Vegas the first week of March.

>
>My option is to get myself an "old", trustworthy F100 right
>now and hold myself away from de D world while this rather
>new and exhilarating market consolidates itself a little
>more.

Only you can decide. How badly do you want to go digital? What are you missing out on by not going digital? Its a question many have pondered. There are numerous threads scattered all over Nikonians by people just like you that are agonizing over taking the big leap.

Speaking just for myself, I'm glad I didn't wait any longer.

Hope that all helped in some way

Victor Newman

>
>Regards.

My Nikonians Gallery

www.nikonians.org - Worldwide Home for Nikon Photographers

A general, generic topic D100 interface [View all] , Bladerunn , Mon 13-Jan-03 12:31 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D100 interface
Reply message To add to what has already been well said...