Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Adjust Image Contrast In D100?

benherrmann

Fuquay Varina, US
563 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Adjust Image Contrast In D100?"

benherrmann Registered since 17th Aug 2002
Sun 12-Jan-03 03:02 PM

Bill:

Nice pic! You hit the nail right on the head. Many of us (those with big underexposure problems) have come to the conclusion that there must be a widespread Q&A problem with the Metering calibration among the D100 units. My photos - taken with the Nikon D100 on Matrix, Program mode (with roughly the same general settings as the one listed in your photo) come out underexposed anywhere from 1 - 2 complete stops. This is both totally unsatisfactory and frustrating.

Custom tone curves help to a certain degree, but are not a catch all. What I find myself doing (which is really unsat given the money you paid for the camera) is to use other forms of metering (i.e. External Incident Meters, or using the Spot Meter in a variety of ways).

I talked with the local Nikon Rep the other day (the guy who includes the Raleigh, North Carolina area into his realm) about these and other issues (JPEG sharpness, underexposure, and getting the camera back from Nikon after servicing with CCD Dust problems). To my surprise (and shock) he completely discounted the problem at hand. He even went so far as to completely dismiss and disparage the various Nikon forums as being places to vent for kids and people who do not know what they are talking about! Once he went down that road, I stopped listening to him.

I do envy those lucky users who managed to get D100s that provide many good exposures (keepers) right out of the camera. I am surmising, however, that those folks are fewer than the numbers who are experiencing underexposure issues. My only other avenue - which I pursued a few months ago - was to go out and also purchase a Fuji S2 Pro, which I hate to say (in my opinion) blows the D100 out of the water in areas such as color balance, saturation, resolution, and out-of-the-camera photo keepers.

Regards,

Ben

Good Shooting...

Ben

A general, generic topic Adjust Image Contrast In D100? [View all] , PatrickInDC , Sun 12-Jan-03 12:26 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message There are good reasons...
Reply message RE: Adjust Image Contrast In D100?