Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D100 and Hyperfocal Distance

RRowlett

Hamilton, US
1253 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"You can find..."

RRowlett Gold Member Charter Member
Tue 14-Jan-03 02:58 PM

on this site. The focal lengths in the chart are actual (not "apparent") focal length of the attached lens. The circle of confusion chosen (0.016 mm, or two pixels) is very conservative, and should generate very sharp images within the hyperfocal distance range. If your zoom lens is set to a focal length that does not correspond to an entry in the table, estimate based on the nearest entries. Since the definition of "acceptable focus" is entirely arbitrary (and focus does not suddenly "fall off the table" when you get to the limits of the indicated hyperfocal range) it really doesn't matter that much if you are off a little one way or the other. To be ultra-conservative, I usually estimate a little on the long side of the focus setting to ensure that infinity is going to be in focus. Then I know that everything will be in focus from one-half my focus setting to infinity. (If I set the lens at 5 feet, then I'm comfortable from 30" to infinity. And if you know the hyperfocal distance is 3 feet at f/22 for a certain lens, and the closest thing you need to be in focus is farther away than that, then focus on the nearest object and everything from half that to infinity will surely be in focus.

Cheers.

A topic tagged as having a question D100 and Hyperfocal Distance [View all] , wpgf100 Awarded for his product reviews and other articles for the Resources Awarded for his shared and inspiring mastery of the art and science of photography , Tue 14-Jan-03 12:25 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D100 and Hyperfocal Distance
Reply message You can find...