Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D100 with a cleaner CCD

owl

Ponca City, US
7732 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"D100 with a cleaner CCD"

owl Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for her generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for her very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Jun 2002
Wed 16-Jan-08 01:07 PM

I just want the weak of heart to know that cleaning the CCD of your D100 isn't really all that hard. I carefully followed the directions in the manual (yes, I bought the EH-5 adapter) and all went smoothly. I did the work while standing on a tile floor and actually brushed myself off with a damp cloth to avoid any static electricity.

I knew there was one really large particle causing a shadow and one or two smaller ones. When I opened the camera, I could see the largest ones and I blew them away with my trusty blue baby aspirator (1.79 at a discount store). I bought it just for this purpose. (No, it's not been in any baby noses.)

Just to record my cleaning operation, I took a photo of a white board at f -16
before and after the cleaning. I also shot the white board at f 2.8 after the cleaning. I applied photoshop 'autolevels' to all photos to make the dust really show up. (See attached) It seems to be the consensus that one should not worry about small particles because they rarely show in a photo.
I know the opinions vary on this. For now, I do not feel the need to actually TOUCH the CCD. Perhaps in the future I will need to do a more thorough cleaning, but for now, I'm quite happy with the results and just wanted to encourage those who may be nervous about doing this.

-Lela

"If you ever drop your camera into a river of molten lava, let it go, because, man, it's gone."

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)

"If you ever drop your camera
into a river of molten lava,
let it go because, man, it's gone."

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic D100 with a cleaner CCD [View all] , owl Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for her generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for her very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 , Wed 16-Jan-08 12:07 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D100 with a cleaner CCD
Reply message Actually the D100 sensor IS covered...