Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Reality check - Nikon D-100 vs Kodak DCS-14

benherrmann

Fuquay Varina, US
563 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Excellent point and..."

benherrmann Registered since 17th Aug 2002
Mon 13-Jan-03 11:58 PM

Chirotk:

If my positive attitude about new technology appears redundant at times, please don't confuse this to mean that I may be loaded - thereby, able to buy what I want. This couldn't be further from the truth. For close to 50 years I've kept up with technology - not necessarily every toy that came down the pike - but nevertheless I watched the transition from 78 rpm records to 33 rpm to 45 rpm...and then to the CD. Then I went from Beta video to VHS...to Super VHS. And well, from laser disk to DVD.

Yes, I love technology - but am not dependant on it. I do know that initially all new technology is expensive (i.e. look at the calculator...the PC...memory...the VCR...DVD). But as economies of scale take hold, everything eventually drops in price. And if they don't, sales will only be contained to those with the bucks to afford it.

Like you, I didn't like the constant computer update scenario - especially the Microsoft OS scenario. From Windows 95 (and all of the SR packs), to Windows 98, to Windows 98 SE, to Millennium ME (a big step backwards in my opinion), to Windows 2000, and now to XP - which has been absolutely fantastic for me.

I look at these as exciting times and only hope I'm around long enough to see the wonderful things coming down the pike in the next quarter century or more! Some would argue that keeping up with what's new in tecnology can keep you young, especially if you do it as a hobby (not a required business practice).

In the meantime, however, I would have to say that the digital photography era seems to be the most exciting and rewarding. It offers an entire new freedom of shooting and expression. And I don't mind firmware upgrades, albeit I wish we could do so via a download followed by a compact flash insertion (Hopefully Nikon will accommodate us with this.

Like you said, however, constant updating can get old real quick - especially when you are in business and require it to stay afloat. I can only imagine what that would be like.

Great to see that this forum is a repository for a variety of viewpoints and attitudes.

Regards,

Ben

Good Shooting...

Ben

A general, generic topic Reality check - Nikon D-100 vs Kodak DCS-14 [View all] , ShadowDetail , Mon 13-Jan-03 08:48 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Reality check - Nikon D-100 vs Kodak DCS-14
Reply message Excellent point and...
Reply message RE: Excellent point and...