Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
guyb

Orleans, US
923 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D100 vs D1x"

guyb Registered since 11th Apr 2002
Mon 20-Jan-03 09:11 PM

Oops I didn't explain my idea. I wanted to see if the whole histogram and therefore exposure was the same for the D100 and D1x.

I keep reading of people having trouble with the D100's capture being too dark. If I look at the histogram within Photoshop or in the LCD display there is lots of room to either side of the histogram. In other words it is not clipping either end. As a routine I just up the gamma. Nothing gets clipped and the overall scene is fine. I am not losing tones at either end. I wanted to know if this was true of the D1x also.

BTW I can think of a good reason for this design. I think it is to aid people when shooting a positive image. Like slide film, if you get too much exposure an area blows out. Therefore it is better to shift the curve to the left to avoid these blown out areas.

Basically what I wanted to see is if maybe the D100's prosumer marketing caused Nikon to try to catch a user's possible error, but inadvertently caused another "problem".

I realize this is all speculation; sometimes my mind runneth overtime.

l8r,
Guy

l8r,
Guy

A general, generic topic D100 vs D1x [View all] , guyb , Mon 20-Jan-03 12:46 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D100 vs D1x
               Reply message Histogram