Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

CP5700 Images better than D100

RRowlett

Hamilton, US
1253 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Keep in mind that the D100..."

RRowlett Gold Member Charter Member
Wed 22-Jan-03 05:48 PM

...is amazingly customizable. You have two settings banks that can be configured to your tastes, and you can control almost every individual feature of exposure and image quality. A compact digicam has few customizable features and a fixed piece of glass. In addition, compact digicams for the most part do a great deal of in-camera sharpening before you can lay your hands on the images. (The best of the compacts will let you turn this feature off.) The sharpening and the in-camera tone curve (often set at fairly high constrast in the "normal" setting) make images look crisper without post-processing. But it comes with a cost: highlights are often blown out at the suggested meter setting, and the sharpening added can never be removed later when the image is re-scaled. This may present some problems at enlargement time.

In its default mode, the D100 collects images of low contrast and little sharpening, and perhaps just a shade "underexposed" (actually correctly exposed for preserving image quality) to acquire an image with the highest possible latitude and potential for a variety of post-capture uses. You will not like this images printed "as-is" nor should you expect to. You would like my raw JPEG or RAW files even less: collected at LOW contrast, NORMAL sharpening, and with every effort taken to avoid overexposure of highlights when possible. However, these images, when loaded into Photoshop and then properly adjusted for constrast and sharpened for printing, enlarge well up to 11'x16". I have even had the pleasure of having such images mistaken for medium format work by other photographers.

So, what to do? If you want to have the D100 work as a point-and-shoot, then save a series of settings in Bank B that uses the degree of sharpening, exposure compensation, and constrast that you desire. You can even load a custom tone curve in to the camera. Then put in Bank A settings for maintaining the highest possible image quality. These will not be "point-and-shoot" images, but will look stunning with post-capture processing. You CAN have it both ways with the D100.

It's curious that folks will go to great lengths to "calibrate" their film cameras by carefully examining what ISO rating to use for shooting a particular film, but that the same finicky behavior is somehow not kosher for a digital camera, which is in fact much, much, easier to customize. If you think your camera underexposes in point-and-shoot mode, then add exposure compensation as required and leave it there. Let the in-camera histogram be your guide, and it is hardly ever possible to miss an exposure. If your images are too flat, increase constrast and/or load a custom tone curve. Not enough saturation? Use sRGBIII instead of sRGBI or Adobe 1998. And so on...

Part of what you pay for in a D100 (and it's not a petty sum!) is extensive customizability. Use it as required! And don't be bashful experimenting. All you're wasting is electrons, not expensive film. It WILL take a while to figure out how to set up the camera to best effect. I've had mine since the very beginning (July 2002) and I am still learning how to use all the features to make the camera do what I want it to do. That's half the fun.

So, do not fret. There IS a way to make the camera do exactly as you want.

Cheers.

This is a hot, active topic! CP5700 Images better than D100 [View all] , shuber182 Silver Member , Sun 12-Jan-03 12:24 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: CP5700 Images better than D100
          Reply message RE: CP5700 Images better than D100 -- Update II
               Reply message RE: CP5700 Images better than D100 -- Update II
Reply message Well, that says it all...but here's one step more
Reply message RE: Well, that says it all...
Reply message RE: Well, that says it all...
Reply message RE: Well, that says it all...but here's one step more
     Reply message RE: Well, that says it all...but here's one step more
Reply message RE: CP5700 Images better than D100 - UPDATE
Reply message That QC issue may be bigger than any of us imagined
Reply message RE: That QC issue may be bigger than any of us imagined
     Reply message You should go...
          Reply message I've learned to deal with it...
     Reply message If you got the bucks...why not both?
          Reply message Where's my picture?
               Reply message RE: Where's my picture?
Reply message Keep in mind that the D100...
Reply message 1486 and encounting...
Reply message RE: 1486 and encounting...
Reply message RE: Keep in mind that the D100...HAS AUTO MODE
     Reply message Just for clarification . . . . . .
          Reply message RE: Just for clarification . . . . . .
                         Reply message RE: Post a sharp sample, please. . . . . .
                              Reply message a sharp sample
                                   Reply message RE: a sharp sample