Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

CP5700 Images better than D100

benherrmann

Fuquay Varina, US
563 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: CP5700 Images better than D100"

benherrmann Registered since 17th Aug 2002
Sun 12-Jan-03 02:45 PM

Scott:

There may be a logical reason for what you are experiencing. Remember - you purchased a Digital DSLR - which means that any one peripheral can contribute to less than ideal images. Just as was the case with 35MM, the type and quality of the lenses you use can make a world of difference. And believe me when I say that the D100 is a superb platform on which to test lens sharpness and the overall quality of images.

Having said that, I found that the Tamron lenses you mentioned are "okay," but would are not to be considered as superb optical glass. In fact, with the exception of the Tamron 24-135 Zoom (which I found to be a superb lens...a real sleeper), I found the remainder of the Tamron zoom lenses to really lack in sharpness and overall detail. In this respect, you get what you paid for.

I would strongly suggest some other lenses. These are my picks based on having experimenting with a variety of lenses.

General All Purpose Zooms

1. Nikon 24 - 85 f2.8 - 4.0 (Cost is approx. $500 - $589 - depending on where you buy it).

2. Tamron 24 - 135 Pro Series f3.5 - 5.6. This one caught me by surprise - a real sleeper. Fantastic for nature and scenic photography. I am continuously amazed at how sharp this lens is. (Cost is approx. $399 - $560 - depending on where you buy it).

3. Nikon 28 - 105 f3.5 - 4.5. Has been around a long time and has been acknowledged as a great all around extremely sharp lens. (Cost in this case is small - $350 - $425 - depending on where you buy it).

Wide Angle Zooms

1. Nikon 17 - 35 f2.8 - an expensive, albeit superb piece of glass. (Cost is approximately $1400 - $1600 - depending on where you buy it). This one will shock you in it's quality.

There will be other recommendations as well - just wait a day and you will be the recipient of many recommendations.

One last note is, perhaps, one of the most important variables of them all. Stabilization of the camera! Make sure to use a quality tripod or monopod to ensure stability - i.e. the Manfrotto/Bogen or Gitzo line. I've seen countless cases where folks took some photos - and I watched them hand-hold the camera - only to have them complain about how soft the photos looked. The slightest bit of shake will make the difference between a "keeper" and a "loser."

Again...the quality of the glass and the stability of the camera account for over 90% of image problems. The remainder stem from improper exposure adjustments and not knowing the effect that various lighting environments have on camera meters.

Have a good one.

Ben Herrmann

Good Shooting...

Ben

This is a hot, active topic! CP5700 Images better than D100 [View all] , shuber182 Silver Member , Sun 12-Jan-03 12:24 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: CP5700 Images better than D100
          Reply message RE: CP5700 Images better than D100 -- Update II
               Reply message RE: CP5700 Images better than D100 -- Update II
Reply message Well, that says it all...but here's one step more
Reply message RE: Well, that says it all...
Reply message RE: Well, that says it all...
Reply message RE: Well, that says it all...but here's one step more
     Reply message RE: Well, that says it all...but here's one step more
Reply message RE: CP5700 Images better than D100 - UPDATE
Reply message That QC issue may be bigger than any of us imagined
Reply message RE: That QC issue may be bigger than any of us imagined
     Reply message You should go...
          Reply message I've learned to deal with it...
     Reply message If you got the bucks...why not both?
          Reply message Where's my picture?
               Reply message RE: Where's my picture?
Reply message Keep in mind that the D100...
Reply message 1486 and encounting...
Reply message RE: 1486 and encounting...
Reply message RE: Keep in mind that the D100...HAS AUTO MODE
     Reply message Just for clarification . . . . . .
          Reply message RE: Just for clarification . . . . . .
                         Reply message RE: Post a sharp sample, please. . . . . .
                              Reply message a sharp sample
                                   Reply message RE: a sharp sample