Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D100 and manual focus tele/zooms??

alnitak

Potomac Falls, US
37 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"D100 and manual focus tele/zooms??"

alnitak Registered since 29th Jan 2003
Wed 29-Jan-03 01:57 AM

My wife just bought me a D100 for Christmas . . . love it! But now I've got the lense bug. I currently have the Nikon 24-120D (I know, . . . but she bought it and it wouldn't be politically correct to take it back). I'm looking to do some nature photography and landscapes, so I need a longer telephoto or zoom lense. I've been looking at various makers and models (80-400 VR, 50-500 HSM, 200-400, 135-500, etc.) and have pretty much decided on the Nikon 80-400 ED VR. The problem is that I will need to save up for it and was wondering if some of the older manual focus (AIS?) lenses would be a good substitute. Some of them can be had for under $300. And given that I heard that AF doesn't work all that well at long focal lengths, or is SLOW, I'm thinking this might be a good choice for now.

What are the issues with using manual focus lenses with the D100? Will I miss many wildlife shots because of trying to focus? Are there any older lenses you would recommend over any others (e.g., 300 f/4)? Should I just get a 1.4x for now?

Any help you can provide in selecting my next lense would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your time.

Bruce

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic D100 and manual focus tele/zooms?? [View all] , alnitak , Wed 29-Jan-03 12:57 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D100 and manual focus tele/zooms??