Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
torwood

Jefferson Hills, US
761 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Upgrade time.."

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010
Fri 06-Sep-13 09:04 PM

"The D7100 may have a more modern sensor, but as far as I am concerned it is a step back in every other respect."

I disagree. The D7100 is an improvement over the D200 in MANY ways. Same can be said for the D7100 vs the D300s. Lets put it this way: There are a few (very few) things that a D300s can do that a D7100 can't (namely shoot at 8FPS with a grip, and offer an AF-On button, and a 10-pin connector, and the buffer is smaller if you want to take 10-15 continuous full-res frames in Raw). From what I've read on the sports forum, good photographers don't do that very often? These may, or may not, have a practical impact on your shooting.

By contrast. there are many things a D7100 can do that a D300s can't (like shoot at ISO 6400 with the same noise that a D300s has at ISO 1600, crop the bejesus out of an image, and allow for much better dynamic range). Plus, I think the center sensor can AF at f8, which can be useful with teleconverters. The AF system is newer. The metering algorithyms are newer. I don't know anybody who can't stand to benefit from those improvements.

That said, you're still using a D200, so a D300s would be an order of magnitude jump for you. I have a D90, which has the D300 sensor in it. It is vastly inferior to my D7000, which is a generation behind the D7100.

BTW, I also have a D50. It was my first DSLR in 2005. Don't trade yours. It's not worth anything (maybe $50-$75). It's small, light, and easy to use. I still use mine for snapshots and architectural documentation for my business, where 6MP files that are never going to be printed on anything bigger than 11x14, are more than enough.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Upgrade time.. [View all] , s2sailorlis_nikon Silver Member , Thu 05-Sep-13 06:05 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Upgrade time..