Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
marsmail

UK
170 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Finally I'm back"

marsmail Registered since 27th Aug 2010
Wed 07-Aug-13 06:33 PM

I am in UK and don't know if it is available where you are, but I use a system from Data Robotics known as DROBO. It is a raid type enclosure, currently utilising up to 5 disks in one unit which are seamlessly put together without any intervention from you to make a protected package. The total size depends on the disks fitted (it will take up to 5x4Tb which with the redundancy gives storage of about 16Tb) The beauty of the system is that you can use any make of disk, any spin speed, any size - it doesn't matter, the system just works with it. If a disk fails, you just kick it out (there is no tray or any fitting, just slot in a bare drive) and the system rebuilds itself. A big plus is that you can still access your data while it is rebuilding. A slightly smaller minus is that - if your fitted disks are big ones - the rebuild can take 30 hours (yes - hours!)
The only real downside is that the protection is useless if your house burns down!!
I have had mine in use for about 5 years and have swopped drives for larger ones as the need arose. I have just bought a second enclosure which I will populate with new drives to enable even more storage!
here is a link to their site:

http://www.drobo.co.uk

marsmail

A topic tagged as someone looking for information Finally I'm back [View all] , Randy1 Silver Member , Sun 04-Aug-13 10:22 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Finally I'm back