Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Lens for indoor sports

PSAGuy

Lake Elmo, US
1766 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Lens for indoor sports"

PSAGuy Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008
Sun 14-Jul-13 03:03 AM | edited Sun 14-Jul-13 03:04 AM by PSAGuy

I shoot many, many youth and HS basketball images each weekend during the season. (Upwards of 2,000 per weekend). Far and away the most useful lens for this is the Nikon 70-200 f2.8. Even with this lens, I am shooting routinely at ISO 3200 with a Nikon D3, at a minimum to be able to even touch the 1/400-500 shutter speeds I need to freeze the action properly. In most gyms, ISO 5000 is a better choice.
There are a lot of the version 1 70-200's available used out there for around $1400 or less sometimes ...and they have no fungus. Check here on the Nikonians board as there always seem to be good deals on this. There is absolutely no need to buy new. Just be careful and always inspect the lens prior to purchase.

As an alternative....and LOTS less money, if you can gain access to sit on the baseline areas, a simple 50 f1.4 Nikon will do the trick. I always use one as a neck cam....for those quick under the hoop shots.

A general, generic topic Lens for indoor sports [View all] , KellyZ , Sat 13-Jul-13 10:51 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Lens for indoor sports