Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Which Nikon has the best AF for movers?

Shy Talk

Port Glasgow, UK
652 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Which Nikon has the best AF for movers?"

Shy Talk Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jun 2010
Sat 22-Jun-13 09:39 AM

Eric

Thanks for that. Following the links you provided, it's clear that the AF in the 7100 is improved over what's inside the 300s.

I'm really after a 24mp camera. I'm one of those who crop in very hard, so more mp= better as far as I'm concerned. I can use them all!

My DX camera is permanently coupled to a Sigma 50-500 OS, and as you know, it's not the brightest. I always use it a f8. I've 'speed taped' the wheel so it never changes! The challenge for the AF comes from the speed of the subjects, but in good light, the 300s does very well. It struggles with fast approaching targets sometimes, but that's no surprise really. I think I'd gain some extra AF capability in less than ideal light, with a 7100, but it's not going to be a huge advantage.

As far as AF points go, I never realised that some were different to others, but after experimenting with 51 points and various other modes, I settled on single point AF, AF-C and the AF-ON button method. This has given the best results so far, and of course- as long as you can keep that central AF point on the target- it seems to minimise the risk of the camera grabbing focus elsewhere.

I agree with what's been written elsewhere about the 7100 weather sealing etc. I'm sure that camera would do me fine- and if there was no prospect of anything better, I'd probably get one.

There's just that nagging doubt about the D400 being about to appear!

I think I'll use my 300s this year, and by the Winter, it might be clearer whether or not a 400 will be a-coming, or not.

my webpage is at http://www.scottishops.co.uk

my Nikonians gallery is here. https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/330319

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Which Nikon has the best AF for movers? [View all] , Shy Talk Silver Member , Thu 20-Jun-13 08:46 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Which Nikon has the best AF for movers?