Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D300 and burst mode

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D300 and burst mode"

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Wed 05-Jun-13 01:31 AM

>> I couldn't see the fps from exif data (or rather not sure how to calculate it).

For a single continuous burst sequence, the frame rate is the capture time of the last frame, minus the capture time of the first frame, divided by the number of frames minus 1.

You must include the fractional sub-seconds in this computation. The camera *reports* to an accuracy of 2 decimal places. But keep reading. The number of decimal places a computer reports is not necessarily indicative of the real world accuracy of that number .

For example, you shoot 9 frames, and the difference between capture times is exactly 1 second. You are shooting at 8 fps.

And, of course, you can compute the frame rate for any number of consecutive frames within a burst.

If you are achieving precisely 8 fps then each frame is taken 0.125 seconds after the prior frame. So round off the reported two digit sub-second to 0.12 or 0.13 seconds. If each frame is indicated as about 0.12 seconds after the prior then you hit your target.

The above assumes the EXIF time is precisely accurate. I do not believe it is. When I have studied these capture times on frames I believe ran at 8 fps I see some strange capture intervals, I might see one frame indicated as 0.05s after the prior, which is an "impossible" 20 fps, but usually the next frame will be abnormally long, more like 0.2s, and the average will work out to about 0.12s per frame.

Just to say don't get excited about any strangeness between any two frames (i.e. any one capture time). It is the average time over a reasonable sequence of 4-6 shots or more that you are looking for.

my Nikonians gallery.

A topic tagged as having a question D300 and burst mode [View all] , polo99 Silver Member , Mon 03-Jun-13 09:49 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D300 and burst mode