Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Photography Life - The D400 is definitely coming!

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4509 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Photography Life - The D400 is definitely coming! "

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Fri 31-May-13 06:28 AM | edited Fri 31-May-13 06:37 AM by richardd300

Steve.

I don't wish to hijack this D400 thread, but improvements to be found in a D400 must bear a relevance to technology found in the D7100.

I find the D7100 is slightly improved against the D7000 in terms of ISO noise. There are in my view other reasons why I feel the camera appears to be more efficient although it is not as efficient in my view as my D800, which one would expect. I will mention this later when i talk about the removal of the AA filter. Of course what we are talking about I guess, are the results of crops and high noise visibility. Here I will mention how I use the D7100 for wildlife shooting and my experience of higher ISO's and in particular cropping.

I have only ever shot at above ISO1200 once and that was at ISO1600 and the straight out of camera results were very satisfactory. A quick trip to my Lightroom4 software elimated any problem noise visible when zoomed in. My normal maximum ISO is 800, but I prefer not to exceed 600 if I can possibly can. I also find and this is true of my D800, that downsizing the image to 16mp improves the appearance of noise.

Now let me mention the lack of AA filter and it's effects on noise, although some of these effects may be apparent rather than an actual reduction in high ISO noise! By this I mean that I found the out of camera results remarkable and a major improvement over either my D7000 or my D800. I have taken over 2500 images now, mostly wildlife, the need to sharpen is now far reduced and any sharpening I do have to apply is now extremely minimal. I can't remember applying an amount of above 40 to any image and that with a radius of 0.9. This is vital as we all know as any ISO noise is amplified in the sharpening process.

All I can really say is that for me the D7100 works very well and crops between 30 - 50% are mostly wholly acceptable at ISO800 and remain reasonable to ISO1200. I try and use a max. of 1200 where no crops are required, 800 where a gentle crop is required and 600 where a 50% crop is needed. I never crop more than that unless my ISO is below 320-400. Most of the time my camera is set on auto ISO between 100 and 600.

In truth the only thing I miss now is occasionally the higher frame rate and certainly the buffering could be vastly improved, this is where I feel the D400 will win out. However, I am not looking to change as the combination of my D800 and D7100 does 90-95% of what I need extremely well. My guess is the D400 will launch at a price that will upset all those apart from the most dedicated wildlife shooter. Also, just like the D800 results are greatly enhanced with the use of pro glass, more money to spend I guess. However the thought of the D400 or my D7100 + the new 80-400mm is very appealing as reviews of this lens are encouraging.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

This is a hot, active topic! Photography Life - The D400 is definitely coming! [View all] , richardd300 Silver Member , Thu 30-May-13 06:05 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Photography Life - The D400 is definitely coming!
Reply message Nikon has enough SLR bodies to sell as-is!
Reply message RE: Nikon has enough SLR bodies to sell as-is!
                    Reply message RE: Nikon MP vs Frame Rates