Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D300 to D7000 thoughts

mklass

Tacoma, US
7437 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D300 to D7000 thoughts"

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Wed 15-May-13 11:13 AM

I tried a D7000, after using a D300s for quite a while, and did not like it. It was a combination of the size and layout, but also the lack of features and performance.

I now have a D7100 and have disposed of the D300s. There is no downside trade-off in the performance and features of D7100, and you gain a significant number of MP, as well as much enhanced dynamic range.

You also gain far more up-to-date firmware, with better in-camera noise control, better hight ISO performance and Nikon lens auto distortion correction (if you shoot JPG or use a Nikon raw converter software).

You do not get a dedicated AF-On button on the back, but can program the AE-L/AF-L button to perform that function. You don't get the 2 banks of up to 4 custom settings, but do get 2 user modes to program. You do not have a 10 pin cable connector, but rather the remote plugs into the side of the camera. And there is no built-in PC Sync connection, an AS-15 is needed to do that.

The items in the above paragraph were a fair trade off for me for the enhanced performance. (I also have a D3s and D800e if I really need that stuff for some reason.)

As for size, it is definitely smaller and lighter. You may find that good or bad. I find it great for traveling lighter and for casual shooting. My hands are not particularly big, so that isn't an issue.

I will likely never use some of the "consumer" features of the D7100, such as the scene modes. But for $1,200, it is a great value. (Heck, I've never used the video mode of my other 2 cameras, except by mistake!)

I was waiting for the "D400", but considering my other 2 camera bodies, decided that I really didn't need to wait for the hoped for features of that once the D7100 was released. With the great DR, it is a D800 lite.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

A general, generic topic D300 to D7000 thoughts [View all] , Photo_Art_W Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 , Wed 15-May-13 04:05 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D300 to D7000 thoughts