Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D300s or D7100?"

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Mon 17-Jun-13 09:45 AM

The IQ advantage of the D7100 is not insignificant. It is major and would have been the top camera in the world in 2005, as it is, it is the top IQ camera with a crop sensor.
The D300 buffer is not large, smaller than the D7100 or D7000 but only gets by when using the lower bit depth of 12 bit instead of 14. At 14, the frame rate, and buffer, are not up to modern expectations for an entry level camera let alone a sports camera. When topping out at 2.5 frames per second in 14 bit, it does not take much buffer to handle 12mpx data but it still runs out quickly. So for action users are saddled with 12 bit files or not get the capture.
So you have two distinct choices, a robust camera that is not up to current standards in low light, color depth, dynamic range, or resolution vs a camera with class leading image quality in a lighter body. Ruggedness is often mentioned in comparing the two but that might be a non-issue, no one has posted about a rash of failures on the D7100 due to mechanical resistance to abuse. Both will die if dropped from a high place onto jagged rocks, both have almost the same degree of weather sealing but the D7100 has an edge according to Nikon who states that the D7100 is up to the same standard as the D800 in weather sealing. None of the Nikon cameras have proven to be weak and comparing my D90, D7000 and D800, all are in very good condition and operation despite frequent use in harsh conditions. My D90 has held up remarkable considering it was times the frame count than either of my other cameras. I GF dropped from stair case last week where it dropped onto a marble staircase and bounced 15 steps down to a marble floor. She was afraid to tell me but when she did was surprised that I predicted that it would be fine but the 18-105 lens she used would not be. When I got it back, sure enough the lens was broken at the rear mount but the camera looked fine. I mounted a 24-70 on it and did a test of focusing and all is fine. Would you expect a heavy camera to fare as well?
So, you do have a distinct choice, it is not subtle. Faster frame rate at lower res and lower color/image resolution, or a 6fps high res, class leading IQ device with more resolution than a D800? It all depends on your use, printing large or shooting for stock, or where cropping might be needed, there is no choice.
If I was looking for a replacement for my D7000 to back up my D800 in event shooting the D300 would be one of the last cameras I would consider now and the D7100 would be one of the first. I have good glass and it would be shame to limit it by limitations of a 5 year old design. If the D400 comes out I will give it a hard look but if it doesn't come to market, the D7100 would be a very good companion to the D800.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic D300s or D7100? [View all] , PeteD57 , Tue 14-May-13 09:23 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D300s or D7100?