Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

3 Questions about digital nikons

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10639 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: 3 Questions about digital nikons"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Tue 14-May-13 10:59 AM

Normally using a full frame lens on a DX camera means you are cropping the outer part of the image - the place where the most distortion occurs. There are some types of distortion that show up in the center of the frame - or at least around the center. Since the DX crop is rendered larger for the same size print, I guess you could argue that visible distortion or lens issues are magnified on DX. But in my mind, that is a bit of a stretch.

Probably a bigger issue with an older wide lens like the 20mm is that new designs generally have provided a lot of improvement. Wide lenses tend to have a good bit of distortion, and newer designs have gone a long way to eliminate or reduce those problems. Wide lenses are also subject to flare and other problems. The coatings on newer lenses provide a lot of improvement to older lenses in difficult shooting conditions. And almost all new lenses are better optically than older lenses.

Here's a good article from Thom Hogan on lens kits. It contains some of the older lenses, as well as links ot other reviews. Thom tends to have a pretty good perspective.
http://www.bythom.com/rationallenses.htm

And Here's a link to lens reviews by Bjorn Rorslett. He's also a pretty good point of reference. You'll note that he provides feedback on some lenses for multiple cameras - and the performance can vary.
http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A general, generic topic 3 Questions about digital nikons [View all] , rpb456 , Fri 10-May-13 11:52 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 3 Questions about digital nikons