Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D200/D300 non-CPU lens settings

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4129 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D200/D300 non-CPU lens settings"

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Mon 06-May-13 01:19 AM

Setting non-CPU lens data, even if incorrect, enables Matrix metering. Having correct lens data my give slightly better exposure calculation from the Matrix evaluation. The improvement using correct data would probably be most noticeable in very tricky lighting situations. For Center Weighted of Spot metering, the lens data has no effect.

If your experience is with matrix metering, you have demonstrated that even with extreme mismatches between the lens and data setting, the metering frequently is very good. This works, because the meter reads the light with the lens wide open and then corrects for the number of stops difference for the actual exposure setting. The camera really doesn't do much with the actual aperture, only the difference is important.

I frequently use my MF 400/3.5 Nikkor with both 1.4X and 2X TC's. I just use the 400/3.5 setting with the TCs. In my experience the exposure is right on without telling the camera about the TCs.

The most important advantage of setting the corrected focal length and aperture is to get that information correct in the EXIF data.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

A general, generic topic D200/D300 non-CPU lens settings [View all] , NRVVA Gold Member , Sun 05-May-13 08:38 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D200/D300 non-CPU lens settings