Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D300 Worth Repairing?

WindMeUp

Franklin, US
6 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

"D300 Worth Repairing?"

WindMeUp Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jan 2007
Mon 22-Apr-13 03:47 PM

So I'll start with a story to make this thread a bit more relevant (and interesting).

My fiancee rides horses as her main hobby, and also does (very) amateur photography. She tore her ACL in December, so she has been taking a break from riding and doing a bit more photography out at the barn.

Yesterday she went out to the barn with her D300 and was taking pictures of some of the other riders out there. She noticed that her pictures had black spots on them, so opened up her camera and saw a bit of dust on the inside. Rather than calling me, wiped the dust off and put her lens back on.

The first words I heard when she called me was "My pictures have a thumb print on them." Fighting off my irritation with the lack of involvement, I told her to take one of lint-free cloth from her camera bag and carefully wipe off the thumb print that she had put on the inside. She said she'd call me back in a few if that didn't work.

I didn't hear from her for 30 minutes, so I figured all was well in the barn world. She called about 45 minutes after the last call and she said "I broke my camera." My first thought was "What? There's no way you can break your camera wiping it off carefully, you didn't break it." Her response was "I was unscrewing this part on the inside and scratched some plastic piece, and broke some other plastic piece."

Fighting my irritation, I realized that she was already on the verge of tears - and knew she made a big mistake. I asked her to not touch anything and come home right away so I could look at it.

Once the camera was home I inspected the inside. It looks as though she scratched the focusing screen, and broke the little black plastic tab that holds the focusing screen in.

The D300 is aging at this point, and better cameras can be had at fairly low price points. Do you think this repair is simple enough that it's worth dealing with, or should I just replace it with something a bit less dated? The "local" shop will do an initial consultation for $50 to tell you what the repair is going to cost. That would put my initial fee at $100 (including gas) to find out what they would charge. I figured I'd check here to see what you guys think before I take the plunge down the road of dashed hopes and dreams.

Thanks!

A topic tagged as in need of help D300 Worth Repairing? [View all] , WindMeUp Silver Member , Mon 22-Apr-13 01:47 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D300 Worth Repairing?